Our Everybody Bikes program removes finanical barriers to bicycling by providing affordable bikes and repairs services to income-eligible Vermonters in need of transportation. Each summer season, staff and volunteers refurbish 300+ bicycles and perform 1,000+ repairs for low-income clients. Learn more about the Everybody Bikes program here.
Front End Volunteers meet and greet clients, operate the cash register, and manage the flow through the front door while the shop is open to Everybody Bikes clients. They are the face of our shop!
Front End volunteers have the rewarding experience of seeing bikes go out the door with happy new owners, working across language barriers, forming friendships with regulars and more. This is an excellent volunteer opportunity for an energetic "people person" with the desrie to help and make people smile; working with and helping volunteer mechanics is a great way to pick up vocabulary and skills. This is an opportunity to help make bikes accessible to people whose lives are greatly impacted by having an affordable and active transportation option.
We are currently recruiting Front End Volunteers for the following weekly shifts:
- Tuesday 1pm - 5pm
- Tuesday 5pm - 8pm
- Wednesday 1pm - 5pm
- Friday 1pm - 5pm
Primary duties include:
- Greeting people when they enter the shop
- Assisting customers with finding a bicycle, parts, or accessories
- Working with Head Mechanics to write repair orders
- Accepting bicycle donations and writing donation receipts
- Handling cash and credit card transactions
- Operating the register and POS system; handling cash and credit card transactions
- Making sure customers, donors, and volunteers submit the proper paperwork
- Answering the phone
Secondary duties include:
- Opening and closing the shop
- Fitting customers with bikes
- Performing organizational and administrative tasks
- Cleaning and organizing projects
- Customer service skills
- Ability to commit to a 4-hour shift weekly or biweekly
- Comprehensive knowledge of shop policies and procedures
- Proficiency with computers
- Ability to work with a diverse population and across language barriers
- Being multi-lingual is a huge plus
- Brief training/shaddowing with Bike Recycle Vermont manager
- If possible, partnering up or shaddowing currenty Front End Volunteer
Supervisor: on-site staff mechanic
- Ability to access stands and tools during Volunteer Appreciation Nights
- Ability to earn City Market member worker credit. Learn more about the member worker program here: http://www.citymarket.coop/memberwork
- A great way to learn about bicycle mechanics and bike shop operation
- A great way to gain retail experience
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic team getting more people in Vermont on bicycles!
- Click here and fill out this form and we'll be in touch shortly. Thanks for your interest!