Youth Shop is a weekly drop-in time when young people can volunteer at Bike Recycle Vermont in exchange for parts and repair help with their own bikes.
The goal of Youth Shop is to teach youth in our neighborhood (and beyond) how to maintain and repair their own bikes. Youth attendees volunteer for an hour before recieving help on their own bikes so that they earn the parts and materials for their bike.
Youth Shop occurs weekly on Thursdays from 2:30pm to 5:00pm starting June 16, 2016. Youth Shop Assists are volunteers who provide youth participants support and instruction as they complete volunteer work and fix up their own bikes.
Youth Shop Assists don't need to be experienced bike mechanics (though mechanical skills are helpful). The ideal volunteers merely needs to enjoy working with young people, have an interest in bike mechanics, and be able to provide encouragement and help to youth as they work their way through volunteer projects and repairs.
Primary duties include:
- Setting up and faciliatiating volunteer projects for youth during the first half of Youth Shop
- Supporting youth through repair work during second half of Youth Shop
- Encouraging active learning by trying to be hands-off and allowing youth to perform majority of work on their bike
- Giving high fives
- Interest and experience working with youth
- Bicycle mechanics knowledge helpful but not required
- Ability to make at least 8 of the Youth Shops in a 10-week period
- A quick 15-minute orientation to the shop.
- Volunteers who demonstrate a commitment to being Youth Shop Assists may be eligible for a part of full scholarship to one of our bicycle mechanics classes which would help them in their volunteer role.
Supervisor: Dan Hock, Youth Shop Manager
- Ability to attend Volunteer Appreciaton Nights where volunteers can use tools and stands to work on their own bikes
- Ability to earn City Market member worker credit. Learn more about the member worker program here: http://www.citymarket.coop/memberwork
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic team getting more people in Vermont on bicycles!
Click here to fill out this form and we'll be in touch. Thank you for your interest!